|Liam Neeson comforts Diane Kruger in Unknown.|
Coming in the top spot was Liam Neeson’s Unknown with $21.8 million. This dramatic, suspense/thriller begins in Berlin and ends in mysterious ways. A great addition to the box office line up for a unique rendition of a tale of assassins and crime, this film will likely be sticking around the box office for a while.
I Am Number Four came in at number two. The sci-fi suspense/thriller attempted to give audiences a true action, adventure flick, though deeply failed only nabbing $19.5 million. Alex Pettyfer’s latest film will probably only be around for a few more weeks.
The third premiere this weekend, Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son, took the fifth place with a solid $17 million. The third flick in the Big Momma franchise, with it's cheap laughs, will probably not hold a long run at the box office.
Hold-overs from last week, Gnomeo and Juliet and Just Go With It, rounded out the Top Five. The Shakespeare-inspired animated flick, Gnomeo and Juliet, took the third slot with $19.4 million. And, at fourth, the Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler smash hit--which has already made a gross of $60 million in two weeks--made another $18.2 million this weekend.
Oscar contender, The King’s Speech, made another $6.6 million this weekend; just enough to grab the seventh spot. These numbers pushed the film over the $100 million gross mark, adding to the bucket of Academy Award nominees that grossed the nine-figure mark. We here at MRQE cannot wait to see what this film wins Sunday night at the awards.
Next weekend we have auto-action with Drive Angry 3D, Nic Cage's second film of this year, and bachelor-comedy Hall Pass, the newest flick from the Farrelly brothers, starring Owen Wilson and SNL's Jason Sudeikis. How do you think these films will do at next week's box office? Tell us in the comments.
Box Office Top Ten (Feb. 18 - Feb. 20):
- Unknown (MRQE Metric: 57) - $21.8 million
- I Am Number Four (MRQE Metric: 49) - $19.5 million
- Gnomeo and Juliet (MRQE Metric: 58) - $19.4 million
- Just Go With It (MRQE Metric: 37) - $18.2 million
- Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son (MRQE Metric: 23) - $17 million
- Justin Bieber: Never Say Never (MRQE Metric: 62) - $13.6 million
- The King's Speech (MRQE Metric: 86) - $6.6 million
- The Roommate (MRQE Metric: 35) - $4.1 million
- The Eagle (MRQE Metric: 53) - $3.6 million
- No Strings Attached (MRQE Metric: 53) - $3.1 million