Rango. Another character to add to Depp’s resume, he once stated that he keeps all these little monsters he has created bottled inside him, and at any moment anyone can come out. Depp has become each character, and they have now become him. Inspired by this eccentric and evolutionary man, we look back at some of the most memorable roles Johnny Depp has ever played.
10. The Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland (2010)
9. Raoul Duke in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998)
8. George Jung in Blow (2001)
Blow is a film that reaps excitement. Involving a $100 million drug business, some really infamous gangsters, and a lot and a lot of partying, Blow illustrates the highs and lows of drug smuggling. George Jung is the center of this world, played perfectly by Depp. Jung is a man who enters an unknown domain, gets involved with a toxic business, and then encounters mass betrayal from people who used to be on his team. He was a leading man in the Medellin Cartel, which at the height of business was making $60 million … a day. Though, the image of Depp as this character in the "old school" 1970s and '80s suits, with dark sunglasses and the perfectly sweet golden locks, reciting Bob Dylan’s "It Ain’t Me Babe" lyrics at the courthouse, is a defining moment both of this character, and of the film.
7. Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
6. Edward Scissorhands in…well, Edward Scissorhands (1990)
5. Benjamin Barker/Sweeney Todd in Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)
4. Joseph D. Pistone/Donnie Brasco in Donnie Brasco (1997)
3. J. M. Barrie in Finding Neverland (2004)
2. Edward D. Wood, Jr. in Ed Wood (1994)
Glen or Glenda, Jail Bait, Plan 9 from Outer Space, and Night of the Ghouls. Just like director Tim Burton, Wood was a risky human. Wood played with shock footage, produced pornographic movies, wrote crime and sex novels, and often signed extremely eclectic casts for his movies. Burton wanted to re-work the tale of this man, and it was the perfect role for Depp to play. In a flawless performance as Ed Wood, Depp won himself a Golden Globe nomination in 1994.
1. Captain Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)