|Chris Hemsworth and Anthony Hopkins in #1 Thor.|
Fast Five took the second slot. After just two weeks in the box office, Fast Five has hit almost $140 million, making over $30 million this weekend alone.
Next was Jumping the Broom, the family drama, which raked in just over $13.7 million. We are surprised to see this new comer in the third spot, but with weekend numbers under the $20 million mark, it seems as if the it was anyone's game to get this. In comparison to the two top blockbusters above, unless the film is predicted to take big numbers, every other flick, like Jumping the Broom, is probably going to fall out of the box office quite quickly this summer season.
At fourth was Something Borrowed, another pretty B-list rom-com, which made $13.2 million just pushing it under Jumping the Broom. Rio, another pre-summer smash, held its own at the fifth slot, making just above $8 million, with a gross total of $114 million.
Next weekend premieres include the Judd Apatow-produced Bridesmaids; a female-driven comedy in the vein of The Hangover and The 40 Year Old Virgin. Also up is the vampire actioner Priest, starring Paul Bettany. Both will likely not put a major dent in the bx office, but will certainly play to strong numbers.
Box Office Top Ten (May 6 - May 8):
- Thor - MRQE Metric: 69 -$66 million
- Fast Five - MRQE Metric: 64 - $32.5 million
- Jumping the Broom - MRQE Metric: 56 - $13.7 million
- Something Borrowed - MRQE Metric: 42 - $13.2 million
- Rio - MRQE Metric: 65 - $8.2 million
- Water for Elephants - MRQE Metric: 60 - $5.6 million
- Madea's Big Happy Family - MRQE Metric: 48 - $3.9 million
- Prom - MRQE Metric: 55 - $2.4 million
- Soul Surfer - MRQE Metric: 58 - $2.1 million
- Hoodwinked Too! Hood vs. Evil - MRQE Metric: 44 - $1.9 million